Ballarat Tramway Museum chevron yellow and green stripes

Scrubber Tram No. 8

No. 8 following repainting in MMTB livery - 20/9/2008 Photo Warren Doubleday

No. 8 following repainting in MMTB livery - 20/9/2008 Photo Warren Doubleday

For a detailed article on the history of this tram and many other photographs, see the April 2018 issue of Fares Please! commencing on page 6.

 


The tram was built by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board in 1934 using the cabs from a C class tram (No. 32). It was transported to the isolated Footscray system a number of times to clean the rails there. In 1961 it received additional body bracing and repainted in the diagonal black and string (light cream) stripes. The tram became 8W during 1975 as the then new Z class trams came into service. By the early 1990's the need for the tram and the other similar cars used to "scrub" the surface of the rails was no longer. The tram was stored at Malvern depot for many years before being donated to the Ballarat Tramway Museum by the Public Transport Commission in September 1999. It has been scrubbing the rails in Ballarat since March 2001.

 

No. 8 crosses Princes Bridge with Batman Ave terminus in the background - 1955.No. 8 crosses Princes Bridge with Batman Ave terminus in the background - 1955. Photo Jim Seletto.

No. 8 (in The Met colour scheme) at the time of recommissioning by BTM - 17/3/2001 Photo Warren Doubleday.

No. 8 (in The Met colour scheme) at the time of recommissioning by BTM - 17/3/2001 Photo Warren Doubleday.

 

Technical Details

Type
Single truck tank car fitted for rail groove flushing and rail scrubbing.
Wheel size
33" nominally (840mm)
Length
22'0" (6.705m)
Width
7' 5.5" (2.27m)
Height
10'9" (3.27m)
Wheelbase
8'0" (2.43m)
Approx Mass
12 tons (12.2 tonnes)
Motors
General Electric GE241 (55HP)
Controllers
General Electric K36JR
Brake Valves
Westinghouse Type “W” Self Lapping - same type operates the scrubbing blocks.
Compressor
General Electric Type CP27
Compressor Governor
General Electric Type ML
Line Breaker
General Electric Type D.B. 276

 

History

1934
Built by the MMTB as No. 8 at Preston Workshops.
1940's and 1950's
Transferred to the isolated Footscray system a number of times.
1961
Repainted from green and cream to string and cream, additional body strengthening and lights added.
1975
Renumbered to No. 8W.
198?
Repainted in “The Met” yellow colour scheme.
199?
Withdrawn from regular use and stored at Malvern Depot.
1999
Donated by the Public Transport Corporation to the BTM.
2001
Recommissioned, with some of the MMTB additional lights removed.
2005
Repainting in MMTB green and cream livery completed. Some additional equipment for the Museum's use has since been added.
2019
First tram over the newly reconstructed track between Depot Junction and Carlton St - scrubbing the rail head.

 

Heritage Significance

Historic – One of a few service vehicles built from almost new by the MMTB rather than being a converted vehicle.

Conservation Plan: - Use as a operational track maintenance tram, maintain in MMTB green and cream livery.

Museum Status: - Operational vehicle; in Museum service maintaining track.

 

Return to Home Page