Ballarat Tramway Museum chevron yellow and green stripes

Tram No. 27

No. 27 at St Aidans Drive following completion of repainting the tram. Photo Warren Doubleday 6-11-2010.

No. 27 at St Aidans Drive following completion of repainting the tram. Photo Warren Doubleday 6-11-2010.

For a detailed article on the history of this tram and many other photographs, see the June 2019 issue of Fares Please! commencing on page 5.

 

Built in 1916 by Duncan and Fraser for the Hawthorn Tramways Trust where it ran as No. 10. Renumbered 116 and classed "M" by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board in 1920. Sold to the Electric Supply Co. of Victoria Ltd. in 1931 and received its present number. The tram continued in service, despite a number of accidents until 1971 when the SEC operated Ballarat system closed and the tram was transferred to the ownership of the Museum. It is one of the Museum's most popular cars.

 

Flinders St, Australia Day Transport Cavalcade  1982 - Photo John Phillips.Flinders St, Australia Day Transport Cavalcade 1982 - Photo John Phillips.

Wendouree Parade, near Barrett Ave - 24/5/1971 Photo N.J. Simons.

Wendouree Parade, near Barrett Ave - 24/5/1971 Photo N.J. Simons.

 

Technical Details - as built or modified by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria

Type
Single truck, drop ends, built as an open California combination
Truck (bogie)
Brill 21E
Wheel size
33" nominally (840mm)
Length
31'10" (9.70m)
Width
8'11" (2.72m)
Height
10'8" (3.25m)
Wheelbase
7'6" (2.29m)
Approx Mass
12 tons (12.2 tonnes)
Motors
Westinghouse 225
Controllers
Westinghouse T1F
Brake Valves
General Electric S-L1
Compressor
General Electric CP25
Compressor Governor
General Electric MLA1

 

History

1916
Body built by Duncan and Fraser Adelaide and Delivered to Hawthorn Tramways Trust as tram No 10. Truck, motors and control equipment fitted at the Hawthorn Tram Depot.
1920
Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board as No. 116, class M.
1930
Sold to Electric Supply Co. of Victoria for use on the Ballarat tramway system as No. 27. Converted to an early form of one-man operation.
1934
Ballarat tramway system formally taken over by the SEC.
1935
First Ballarat tram to be painted dark cream and green.
1938
Converted to final Ballarat form - waist level panels in drop ends, with closeable doors in each corner of the tramcar.
1951
Repainted to mid Bristol green and ivory.
1971
Acquired by the BTPS.
1981 & 1982
Operated in Melbourne for the Australia Day Parade.
1984
Repainted in 1930's SEC colour scheme.
2010
Repainted in 1930's in better matching SEC colour scheme using a deeper green that was matched from an artifact.

 

Heritage Significance

Historic – Tram built for the developing eastern suburbs of Melbourne in 1916, but became surplus to needs in Melbourne and sold to Ballarat in 1930 to replace by then the worn out ESCo trams. The four wheel tram is synonymous with Ballarat serving the city and its community from 1930 until 1971. It was converted to operate in Ballarat for one man operation, with doors on each side of both ends. Painted by the BTM and minor modifications made to represent the 1930’s era of the SEC operations, different livery to that of the 1950’s.

Technical – shows how the type underwent modifications and an earlier colour scheme in Ballarat.

Provenance – known in detail. Full service records are maintained.

Social – One of the fleet of four wheelers that served Ballarat.

Rarity – One of small number of similar trams in Australian tramway museums.

Representativeness - It is a very good example of its type.

Condition-Integrity – remains in operable condition, though with some minor cosmetic and equipment changes for safety purposes. The tram has been painted a number of times since 1971.

Interpretive Potential – shows the form and colour scheme of Ballarat Trams in the mid 1930’s and can be used in Wendouree Parade for visitor hands on experience.

Conservation Plan: - Retain in the 1930's SEC colour scheme;

Museum Status: - Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.

 

Return to Home Page