Geelong 2 at St Aidans Drive - 10-11-2020. Photo Neville Britton.
The tramcar was converted back to the open ended style that lasted until 1935 and is in what the donor of the tram deduced to be the Melbourne Electric Supply Company's colour scheme. The tram is fitted with a former Brussels Tramway's version of a Brill 21E four-wheel truck. Over 400 of these were built in the 1930's for the "Les Tramways Bruxellois" in Belgium. The truck was acquired through the Sydney Tramway Museum. Bendigo Tramways undertook the electrical wiring and air piping on the tram. It was commissioned in Bendigo before the tram was transported to Ballarat where the final touches have been made.
No. 2 is on the far left of this line up of trams at the depot, 1915.
Photo Geelong Historical Society.
Geelong No. 2 at the North terminus, early 1950's.
Photograph Wal Jack.
||As built or modified by the SEC
||As fitted 2019
||Single Truck straight sill open combination, modified by SEC to closed combination
||Single Truck drop end open combination
||Brussels Brill 21E type fitted with Roller bearings
||33" from old photos
||2.62m over footboards, 2.5m at gutters (as measured)
||3.43m to top of roof (excludes trolley pole asembly)
||2 x 45HP, Westinghouse 225N
||2 x 49HP, MTV 343 Ateliers de Constructions Electriques de Charleroi (ACEC)
||Originally magnetic and hand
||Air - Westinghouse PV3 type
||Seated 36, 20 standing + 2 crew.
||Body built by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide and railed in KCD condition to the Melbourne Electric Supply Co. (MESCo)
depot in Geelong. Separate contractors supplied and fitted the electrical and mechanical equipment.
||Roller type destination boxes fitted with 4 lights above, signalling the 3 route destinations at the time: West (red), Newtown (green) and South (white). The 4th light (blue)
was for the East route that was planned for a tramway takeover of the MESCo's buses before the close of the decade.
|mid to late 1920's
||Fitted with air brakes to replace the magnetic brakes. Side destination boxes moved from right hand clerestory windows to roof
near the leading ends of the car. Plywood advertisement racking extended to motorman's bulkhead which had green glass covered
by notice board (central) and ply (right side) with the instruction
TO STOP TRAM PULL BELL CORD ONCE painted on. Central drop window in motorman's bulkhead replaced by half window with sliding shutter. Seats provided for motormen.
||MESCo taken over by the State Electricity Commission (SEC) on 1 October.
||Converted to one man operation. Platform ends enclosed except for one doorway each side and off-side pillar beside motorman moved
back one roof rib at each end to enlarge entry way. Off-side one-third of the motorman's bulkhead removed. Folding lattice gates that
lifted steps fitted to the 4 entry/exit points. Tip over seats replaced by wooden longitudinal seating in the saloon and aisle cut
through the transverse seat on the platforms. The piece of seat cut out re-installed opposite the rear doorway. SEC logo replaced
Geelong Electric Tramways insignia on tram sides, first applied in 1931.
||Bumper bars lowered to match those of the bogie trams. Tow bars, originally for the trailers, removed by now. Leather covered foam
rubber laid on the wooden seating in the saloon. Solid backs installed on the shortened platform seats replacing original 2-rail backing.
||Folding gates replaced by wooden swing doors on entryways. Rear doors narrowed slightly.
Tail lights and windscreen wipers fitted. Route lights removed from destination boxes. Body colour changed to Bristol Green (a lighter shade) and pale cream.
||Geelong tramway system closed, No. 2 making its last run during January 1956. Body subsequently
sold to Phil Shoppee, a farmer at Murradoc on the Bellarine Peninsula.
||Body acquired by Warrington Cameron reconstruction commenced.
||Truck arrived at Bendigo Tramways who shortened the wheelbase, refurbished the roller bearings, replaced the larger CP29 compressor and had the wheels re-profiled. It was retained there for the next 16 years.
||Electrical, air and mechanical equipment installed by the Bendigo Tramways.
||Body work completed at the Ballarat Tramway Museum.
||Formally launched on 6-2-2022.
Historic – This tram is the only one known to exist of the seven (and four trailers) that opened the Geelong system in 1912. It is the only former MESCo Geelong tram that has been reconstructed to its as-built body configuration and made operational.
Technical – body reconstructed using traditional methodologies. Uses a former Brussels wheel set and other modified former tramway equipment.
Provenance – known in detail.
Social – Demonstrates the seating arrangements provided to Geelong passengers in 1912.
Rarity – The only operational tram built for MESCo in a tramway museum.
Representativeness - It is an excellent example of its type.
Condition-Integrity – Body faithfully reconstructed though with different electrical and mechanical equipment to that originally provided.
Interpretive Potential – Enables Museum visitors to see an original Geelong tram and experience travel typical of 100 years ago.
Conservation Plan: - Retain in the MESCo Colour Scheme and configuration.
Museum Status: Operational vehicle for special use occasions.
Ballarat Tramway Museum Inc. - PO Box 632 Ballarat Vic 3353 Australia - firstname.lastname@example.org - phone +61 3 5334 1580. A0031819K