Ballarat Tramway Museum chevron yellow and green stripes

Tram No. 18

No. 18 in 1960's SEC livery - 12/1987- Photo William F Scott.

No. 18 in 1960's SEC livery - 12/1987- Photo William F Scott.

Click here for the photographs of 100 years of celebration of No. 18 and 40 - November 2013.

For a detailed article on the history of this tram and many other photographs, see the August 2019 issue of Fares Please! commencing on page 6.

 

Built in 1913 by Duncan and Fraser for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust and became number 63. Retained this number when classed "H" by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board. Sold to the Electric Supply Co. of Victoria Ltd. and transferred to Ballarat in 1931, becoming number 18. In 1964 this car was decorated for the centenary of the Borough of Sebastopol and donated to that borough in 1971 by the SEC. The tram returned to Ballarat in 1982 on loan to the Museum. This was the last car to move through the city area of Ballarat.

 

No. 18 decorated for the centenary of the Borough of Sebastopol 1964 at Lydiard St North. Photograph TMSV from Les Denmead Collection.No. 18 decorated for the centenary of the Borough of Sebastopol 1964 at Lydiard St North. Photograph TMSV from Les Denmead Collection.

No. 18 northbound in Drummond St Nth, at Victoria Ave, 23/12/1967. Photo Dave Macartney.

No. 18 northbound in Drummond St Nth, at Victoria Ave, 23/12/1967. Photo Dave Macartney.

 

Technical Details - as built or modified by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria

Type
Single truck, drop ends, built as an open California combination
Truck (bogie)
Brill 21E
Wheel size
33" nominally (840mm)
Length
31' 11" (9.73m)
Width
8'11" (2.72m)
Height
10'8" (3.25m)
Wheelbase
6'6" (1.98m)
Approx Mass
11.9 tons (12.1 tonnes)
Motors
Westinghouse 225
Controllers
Westinghouse T1F
Brake Valves
Westinghouse PV3
Compressor
Westinghouse DH10
Compressor Governor
Westinghouse S6B

 

History

1915
Built by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide and delivered to Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as tram No 63 in November of that year.
1920
Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board as No. 63, class H.
1921c
Air brakes fitted and Brill tip-over seats in the saloon replaced by longitudinal seats.
1931
Sold to Electric Supply Co of Victoria. for use on the Ballarat tramway system as No. 18. Converted to an early form of one-man operation using barrier rails and aisles cut through end seats.
1934
Ballarat tramway system taken over by the State Electricity Commission (SEC).
1935-1936
Converted to final Ballarat form - waist level panels in drop ends, with closeable doors in each corner of the tramcar.
1949
Repainted Mid Bristol Green and Ivory.
1956 to 1960
Out of Service.
1964
Decorated for the centenary of the Borough of Sebastopol and as the first Ballarat Christmas or Santa tram.
1971
Acquired by the Borough of Sebastopol for static display.
1982
Transferred to the BTPS/BTM on long term loan.
1985
Re-entered service, repainted in early 1960's colour scheme.
2012
Wheels re-profiled by Yarra Trams at Preston Workshops.
2017-2018
Tram repainted, truck overhauled and general repairs.

 

Heritage Significance

Historic – Tram built for the developing eastern suburbs served by the largest of the Melbourne Tramway Trusts, the Prahran and Malvern Tramway Trust of Melbourne in 1916. Became surplus to needs in Melbourne due to the development of larger capacity bogie trams and sold to Ballarat in 1930 to replace by then the worn out ESCo trams.

The four wheel tram is synonymous with Ballarat serving the city and its community from 1930 until 1971. It was converted to operate in Ballarat for one man operation, with doors on each side of both ends. Only one of the second batch of single truck trams delivered in 1913 to the PMTT to survive.

Repainted in a gold livery to celebrate the centenary of the Borough of Sebastopol in 1964 and then again in 1964 as the first Santa tram in Ballarat. Last tram to move through the Ballarat streets on delivery to Sebastopol. Painted by the BTM and minor modifications made to represent the 1930’s era of the SEC operations, different livery to that of the 1950’s.

Technical – shows how the type underwent modifications and an earlier colour scheme in Ballarat.

Provenance – known in detail. Full service records are maintained.

Social – One of the fleet of four wheelers that served Ballarat and placed on display in Victory Park Sebastopol following closure of the SEC system.

Rarity – One of small number of similar trams in Australian tramway museums.

Representativeness - It is a very good example of its type.

Condition-Integrity – remains in operable condition, though with some minor cosmetic and equipment changes for safety purposes. The tram has been painted a number of times since 1971.

Interpretive Potential – shows the form and colour scheme of Ballarat Trams in the early 1960's and can be used in Wendouree Parade for a visitor hands-on experience.

Conservation Plan: - Retain in early 1960's SEC Colour Scheme with marker lights.

Museum Status:Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.

 

Return to Home Page