Ballarat Tramway Museum chevron yellow and green stripes

BTM pic image

Tram No. 14

Tram 14 at St Aidans Drive in 1981 when the Lake was dry

No. 14 at St Aidans Drive terminus when Lake Wendouree was dry - 1/8/2009 - Photograph Warren Doubleday.

Follow this link to Jolt Media's 3D tour of Tram 14 - https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=snKRedefM3a

For a detailed article on the history of this tram and many other photographs, see the Feb. 2019 issue of Fares Please! commencing on page 5.

 

The tram body was built in 1915 by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust. It ran as number 75 and retained this number when classed "J" by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board in 1920. Sold to the Melbourne Electric Supply Co. Ltd. in 1927 and ran as Geelong number 29. Transferred by the SEC. to Ballarat in 1936 where it became number 14. This car was the last car to be overhauled by the SEC. The tramcar is the property of the Ballarat City Council and on loan to the Museum.

 

Photo of tram 14 at Gardens Loop, just prior to the fitting of the dash canopy lights.  Photo Travis Jeffery.

No. 14 at Gardens Loop, late 1961, just prior to fitting the dash canopy lights. Photo Travis Jeffery

Photo of No. 14 decorated as the 1970 Myer's Christmas tram, Macarthur and Drummond Streets. Photograph Bob Prentice.

No. 14 decorated as the 1970 Myer's Christmas tram, Macarthur and Drummond Streets. Photograph Bob Prentice.

 

Technical Details - as built

Type
Single truck, drop ends, open California combination
Length
30'8" (9.35m)
Width
8'11" (2.72m)
Height
10'8" (3.25m)
Wheelbase
6'6" (1.98m)
Approx Mass
12 tons (12.2 tonnes)

 

History

1915
Body built by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. Sydney, delivered to Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as tram No 75. Separate contractors supplied and fitted the electrical and mechanical equipment.
1920
Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board as No. 75, class J.
1928
Sold to Melbourne Electric Supply Co. for use on the Geelong tramway system as No. 29. Converted to Geelong one-man style.
1930
Geelong tramway system taken over by the State Electricity Commission.
1936
Transferred by the SEC to Ballarat tramway system as Tram No. 14. Converted to Ballarat configuration of waist level panels in drop ends, with closeable doors in each corner on the tramcar.
1971
Acquired by the City of Ballarat, and made available to the BTPS.
1979
Operated in Melbourne for the Australia Day Parade

 

Heritage Significance

Historic – The tram has operated in Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat. The four wheel tram is synonymous with Ballarat serving the city and its community from 1936 until 1971. It has been converted to operate in Ballarat for one man operation, with doors on each side of both ends. Tramcar retained by the BTM in the final form of Ballarat’s four wheelers – that is with marker lights and tiger stripes.
Technical – shows how the type underwent modifications for service in Ballarat. The last tram to receive an overhaul and repaint by the SEC in Ballarat prior to closure.
Provenance – known in detail. Full service records are maintained.
Social – was presented to the City of Ballaarat at the time of closure by the SEC. Made available to the Ballarat Tramway Preservation Society for operation on permanent loan.
Rarity – One of small number of similar trams in Australian tramway museums.
Representativeness - It is a very good example of its type.
Condition-Integrity – remains in operable condition, though with some minor cosmetic and equipment changes for safety purposes.The tram has been painted a number of times since 1971.
Interpretive Potential – shows the final form and colour scheme of Ballarat Trams and can be used in Wendouree Parade for visitor hands on experience.
Conservation Plan: - Retain in the final SEC Colour Scheme with marker lights.
Museum Status:Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.

 

Return to Home Page