Ballarat Tramway Museum chevron yellow and green stripes

Tram No. 13

No. 13 arrives to pick up passengers at the Depot Junction tram stop. 
	 Photo Peter Waugh 4/4/2010.

No. 13 arrives to pick up passengers at the depot junction tram stop. Photo Peter Waugh 4/4/2010.

For a detailed article on the history of this tram and many other photographs, see the Oct. 2018 issue of Fares Please! commencing on page 8.

 

Built in 1915 by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as number 68. Classified "J" class when taken over by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board. Purchased by the Melbourne Electric Supply Co. Ltd. in 1928 and became Geelong number 30. Transferred to Ballarat in 1936, becoming car number 13. On closure of the Ballarat tramways, this car was donated to the Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Society and returned to Ballarat in 1983 on loan to the Ballarat Tramway Museum. Re-entered service in May 1988 after repairs.

 

No. 13 picking up passengeres at the Grenville St stop - 18/7/1968 - Photo The Courier, Ballarat.

No. 13 picking up passengers at the Grenville St stop - 18/7/1968 - Photo The Courier, Ballarat.

At the corner of Drummond and Sturt Streets - 8/4/1958 - Photo Ben Parle.

At the corner of Drummond and Sturt Streets - 8/4/1958 - Photo Ben Parle.

 

Technical Details - as built or modified by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria

Type
Single truck, drop ends, built as an open California combination
Truck (bogie)
Brill 21E
Wheel size
33" nominally (840mm)
Length
30'8" (9.35m, though the driver's compartment is a bit shorter at the No. 1 end after an accident many years ago.
Width
8'11" (2.72m)
Height
10'8" (3.25m)
Wheelbase
6'6" (1.98m)
Approx Mass
12 tons (12.2 tonnes)
Motors
Westinghouse 225
Controllers
Westinghouse T1F
Brake Valves
WH SL
Compressor
Westinghouse DH10
Compressor Governor
Westinghouse S6B

 

History

1915
Body built by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. Sydney, delivered to Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as tram No 68. Separate contractors supplied and fitted the electrical and mechanical equipment.
1920
Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board as No. 68, class J.
1928
Sold to Melbourne Electric Supply Co. for use on the Geelong tramway system as No. 30. Converted to Geelong one-man style.
1930
Geelong tramway system taken over by the State Electricity Commission (SEC).
1936
Transferred by the SEC to Ballarat tramway system as Tram No. 13. Converted to Ballarat configuration of waist level panels in drop ends, with closeable doors in each corner on the tramcar.
1971
Acquired by the Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Co-Op Ltd.
1988
Re-entered Museum service carrying passengers.
1990
Fully repainted in the SEC colour scheme.
2013
Repainted for the 2nd time in BTM service.

 

Heritage Significance

Historic – The tram has operated in Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat. The four wheel tram is synonymous with Ballarat serving the city and its community from 1936 until 1971. It has been converted to operate in Ballarat for one man operation, with doors on each side of both ends. Tramcar retained by the BTM in the final form of Ballarat’s four wheelers – that is with marker lights and tiger stripes.

Technical – shows how the type underwent modifications for service in Ballarat.

Provenance – known in detail. Full service records are maintained.

Social – Donated to the Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Co-Op at the time of closure by the SEC. Made available to the Ballarat Tramway Preservation Society for operation on permanent loan.

Rarity – One of small number of similar trams in Australian tramway museums.

Representativeness - It is a very good example of its type.

Condition-Integrity – remains in operable condition, though with some minor cosmetic and equipment changes for safety purposes. The tram has been painted a number of times since 1971.

Interpretive Potential – shows the final form and colour scheme of Ballarat Trams
and can be used in Wendouree Parade for visitor hands on experience.

Conservation Plan: - Retain in the final SEC Colour Scheme with marker lights.

Museum Status:Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.