Tram No. 13
No 13
Wendouree Parade 4/1991 - Photo William Scott
Built in 1915 by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. for the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as number 68. Classified "J" class when taken over by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board. Purchased by the Melbourne Electric Supply Co. Ltd. in 1928 and became Geelong number 30. Transferred to Ballarat in 1936, becoming car number 13. On closure of the Ballarat tramways, this car was donated to the Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Society and returned to Ballarat in 1983 on loan to the Ballarat Tramway Museum.
13-btm3747i 13-2861i1
No. 13 picking up passengres at the Grenville St stop - 18/7/1968 - Photo The Courier, Ballarat. At the corner of Drummond and Sturt Streets - 8/4/1958 - Photo Ben Parle.
Date Built 1915 Builder Meadowbank Manufacturing Co. Sydney
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type Single truck, drop ends, open California combination
Length 30' 8" (9.35m) Width 8' 11" (2.72m)
Height 10' 8" (3.25m) Wheelbase 6' 6" (1.98m)
Approx. Mass 12 tons (12.2 tonnes)    
1915 Delivered to Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust as tram No 68.
1920 Taken over by Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board as No. 68, class J.
1928 Sold to Melbourne Electric Supply Co. for use on the Geelong tramway system as No. 30. Converted to Geelong one-man style.
1930 Geelong tramway system taken over by the State Electricity Commission.
1936 Transferred by the SEC to Ballarat tramway system as Tram No. 13. Converted to Ballarat configuration of waist level panels in drop ends, with closeable doors in each corner on the tramcar.
1971 Acquired by Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Co-op Ltd.
1977 Transferred to the BTPS on long term loan
Heritage Significance:      
One of a number of this type of tram still in working order in Australian tramway museums.
Conservation Plan:
Retain in the final SEC Colour Scheme with marker lights.
Museum Status:
Operational vehicle, general use in museum service.
Return to the tram fleet register page.