Cuthberts-939
Cuthberts 939 Wendouree Parade 5-4-2016 - Photo Warren Doubleday
939 on a route 48 service 939 in the movie Malcolm
939 running a North Balwyn to Spencer Street service 2 March 1970 - Photo Dick Jones. 939 makes a quick cameo in the movie Malcolm during filming at South Melbourne depot in 1986
tram 939 - 18 July 2004 - Photo Mal Rowe
939 as Colonial Tramcar Restaurant Tram No. 3, 18 July 2004 - Photo Mal Rowe.
Date Built 1948 Builder Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramway Board
 
Technical Details (As Built)        
Type

Built as a bogie, drop-centre saloon. Heavily rebuilt internally to give a flat floor, air-conditioned, 240V and 24V systems fitted along with changes to bulkheads and position of the passenger door and a goods door in 1994.

 

Length 46.5 ft (4.17m) Width 7.11 ft (2.17m)
Height 10.36 ft (3.16m) Trucks MMTB No. 15  
Approx. Mass 17.5 ton as built Estimated 22 tonnes rebuilt.    
 
History:          
1948

The tram was built by the MMTB as No. 939 in 1948 at Preston Workshops as a standard SW6 tramcar.  It was resident for most of its life at Camberwell, Kew and South Melbourne depots and finally Southbank depot. 

 

1986

Makes a cameo appearance in the film Malcolm

 

1994

The tram was converted into Melbourne Restaurant tram No. 3 in 1994.  While in the later part of its use by the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant Co, it was named “Valentine” during July 2008.  It was withdrawn from service in May 2012, when it was replaced by No. 935 (Restaurant No. 6).

 

2014

Acquired by the BTM and stored offsite.

 

2015

In August 2014, the Museum received a grant from the Victorian Government of $40,000 to refurbish tram – part of the Transport Investing in Regions Program.   The tram was relocated to the Ballarat depot on 29/10/2014. 

 

2016

Refurbishment work was completed during March 2016 and the tram was formally launched on 5/4/2016..  The tram is named after Sir Henry Cuthbert (1829 - 1907), the first Chairman of the Ballaarat Tramway Co (the horse tram operator). Sir Henry was a Ballarat based solicitor, member of the Legislative Council, Knighted in 1897 and strong supporter of many Ballarat institutions. 

 

 
Heritage Significance:      
On of a class of 120 trams built at Preston Workshops between 1939 and 1951. Third tram to be converted to a Colonial Tramcar Restaurant Tram. Of the six trams converted, the only former Melbourne Restaurant tram surviving as an operational tram in a Museum.
 
Conservation Plan:
Pending consideration.
 
Museum Status:
In Service
Return to the tram fleet register page.